Listen to "Stepping Off", Read by Doug Bradley.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Genre Definitions

It’s been an interesting week, with a few days spent in Louisiana and a few good solid hours of writing ‘Mirror Man’ each day.

I love the drive home fromhere as I avoid I-10 for as long as possible, taking the scenic route along the edge of the lake and then follow the coast road back into Texas.

In the summer, the drive always brings encounters with wildlife; turtles and occasional gators in the road. I stop and pick up the turtles, saving them from certain reptilian pancakedom, but the gators just get a blast on the horn and a few angry revs of the engine. After that, they’re on their own.

The coast road inspires me to pull over and take a small walk on the sand. I miss living right on the ocean and when ever I find myself on a quite shore, I make a promise that one day I’ll move back to a coastal address, preferably a Caribbean one.

Anyway, back on topic…

I’ve struggled with defining the genre of ‘Mirror Man’. The protagonist is the direct descendant of a Norse God, which might place it firmly in the realms of a fantasy novel, although there is little reference or relevance to his godly heritage, beyond immortality.

I’m a huge fan of Neil Gaiman’s works and I would like to think I could occupy the same genre as ‘American Gods’ or ‘Anansi Boys’.

That being said, there are some gruesome scenes in my novel and some elements that I’d like to believe were psychological horror.

In short, I’m not sure how to classify it at the moment so, as a procrastination tool, I thought I’d set out my understanding of the various genre options.

Mystery/Suspense

Works that usually revolve around a mysterious or unexplained event or a crime that is not solved until the story comes full circle, to keep the reader in suspense. A good mystery/Suspense novel, for me, follows the process of solving the mystery, rather than the event or crime itself. It presents puzzles and red herrings for the reader to digest and analyse.

According to my google searches, subgenres include: historical, detective, supernatural, noir, detective fiction, and Miss Marple type whodunits.

Thriller

Danger-filled plots with high stakes, where the protagonists and their loved ones are in serious jeopardy. Although thrillers, like mysteries, often involve solving of a crime, the primary conflict is often imminent threat that the protagonists must overcome at all costs.

Crime Fiction

Obviously, the plot of a crime fiction novel focuses on the actual planning and perpetration of a crime rather than the detection and bringing to justice, the criminals.


Fantasy

Fantasy works often contain elements that are not of this world, such as mystical creatures, giants, faeries, goblins, gnomes, wizards, and witches. Magic, spells, swords and sorcery, supernatural powers, talking animals, and fanciful kingdoms abound in Fantasy works. Plots often centre around a quest, damsels in distress, epic battles of good verses evil.
Subgenres include mythology, dark fantasy, and graphic novels.

(So far, I think I’m still in this genre…)


Science Fiction

These are stories with a basis in the futuristic - a well-crafted blend of scientific fact andfiction. Science, both real and imagined (but with a basis in reality), contributes to the storyline.

It would seem easy to blur the lines between Science Fiction and Fantasy, wouldn’t it?

Historical Fiction

Stories based in a particular era of the past, often using a genuine setting, place or event such as the American Civil War, The French Revolution, the reign of Elizabeth I, etc.

Historical fiction is often quite literary work and the historical period is expressed in the language of the prose. Even in fictional tales, accurate historical facts and details are employed to bolster the story.

Chick Lit

Usually light, life experience based tales aimed at and about women. The protagonist(s) usually experience conflicts of a love/relationship/career nature. Bridget Jones’ Diary comes to mind.

Women’s Fiction

Again can be simply stated as fiction aimed at and about women. However, women’s fiction tends towards a greater depth and literary tone than chick lit.

Commercial Fiction

Based on heavily conceptual hooks and plots, appealing to a wide audience. The plot is the key in commercial fiction, with a strong narrative storyline, rather than literary prose or internal character conflicts.

Horror

The primary intent is to frighten. Horror can be based in extreme gore, graphic violence, or tense psychological suspense. Supernatural folklore, encompassing creatures who prey on humanity often fill the genre. – Vampires, werewolves and so on. The subgenres list seems endless and almost any genre with an element of terror fits here.

I have some elements of horror by way of a few gory scenes and some psychological suspense. Perhaps it’s a dark fantasy?

Literary Fiction

The quality of writing is valued above all else in literary fiction. Plot and commerciality are secondary to the development of story through prose. Descriptive narratives abound as the art of writing is explored.

Nope…nothing here for me.

Romance

Love stories set against dramatic backdrops, passion and mostly a ‘and they lived happily ever after’ resolution.


I think I’ll stick with ‘dark fantasy’ for now but if I need to change focus slightly, to attract the attentions of a specific agent or publisher, I have a few options.

Right, the sun is shining and the road is clear. I’m going to put the roof down and cruise home along my back roads and coastal routes and hope i don't get pulled over by a local cop with only two teeth, who calls me 'boi'.

12 comments:

Smiler said...

What happens when you're a budding writer still exploring the possibilities and you can't figure out which genre you fit into yet? Does is that something one should concern oneself about right from the onset? Oh, and by the way: Hello, Michele sent me. ;-)

carmilevy said...

Hi Mike. Thanks so much for dropping be just before. I totally relate to your road-less-traveled way of getting there. Every chance I get, I get off the superhighway and cruise through farm country. It rejuvenates the soul.

I've learned to avoid pegging anything I write into a specific category or genre too early. I often let my writing find its own rhythm. Once it does, the categorization almost takes care of itself.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Boy! How do you keep up with these difinitions? And of course the overlapping of same...maybe two or three or even four possible crossovers sometimes.....

Michele and I are pondering all these things and she sent me to tell you that! (lol)

Bernie said...

I like a good crime Fiction, and not really into 'Mills and Boon' Romance stuff, to mushy for me!

Here from Michele's tonight!!!

Melody said...

Oooo I like your definitions Mike. I figure I like a bit of everything when I read; fiction, non-fiction, chick lit, crime, thriller rah, rah, rah... How about a definition of blog writers? *heehee* I think they're my favourite!

I'm here via Michele today. Have a great weekend...

Mike Davis said...

Smiler - for me, genre relates specifically to the piece I'm writing at the time. I wouldn't want to box myself into one specific genre forever. I don't concern myself about it per se, only in as much as I need to know how - and where - to market the finished work.

Carmi - absolutely! - Although I'm still struggling with letting the categorization take care of itself as the lines are blurring.

OOLOTH - that's the problem but I think I can also see it as an advantage. I can try several markets withg the same work...

Bernie - How about Barbara Cartland??? lol

Melody - me too. I like to read a good story, regardless of genre.

An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

lots of books these days seem to be cross genre. it's got so that our branch of Waterstones doesnt have a Horror section or a fantasy section, now we have a Fantasy/horror/sci-fi section.. not to mention lots of horny werewolves and vampires that get filed under "romance". Genre classification is no longer so easy..

xxxxxxxx

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Turtles and gators? Nothing that interesting ever crosses our roads here in the UK. We get the odd sheep, hedgehogs, birds, badger etc.

Good luck with the writing :)

Have a great weekend and thanks for visiting.

Anne said...

I got lost in your tangent, about the turtles and beaches, rather than literary styles. I lived in WV when I was a kid and it was a very common practice to yell up to Dad to stop the family station wagon so we could prevent a turtle pancake.

Oh, almost forgot, Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I'm very interested in your genre defintions. I am not yet published. Most of my work is in mystery/suspense, but now I'm thinking one novel in particular is more suited to your definition of 'thriller'. I have posted a link to your post in a writers' group over at Blog Catalog for discussion. If you'd like to see it, here's the link:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/group/got-character/discuss/entry/genre-examination

Anonymous said...

I liked the genre definitions. Your blog is always very informative for a would poet like me.

I don't stick to amy genre, try writing about unversl issues. Sometimes I succeed, many a time I fail.

I can read any genre though. Mushy romances too, if I am in the mood.

BTW, I won 'American Gods' in a book draw in the BAFAB week.

I look forwardto read your book(s) in near future and if you allow me I would review it too.

I am pretty much glad to visit you always. I am going add you to my blogroll.

But for today, Michele sentme.

Carol Gee said...

Mike, Michelle didn't send me. I came myself, after a too-long absence.
Good post. I was born in Wyoming, a very long way from the sea. But I remain drawn to the water, feeling more at home there than anywhere else. Go figure.
P.S. I also loved your Monday miracle post about the animal kingdom.