Listen to "Stepping Off", Read by Doug Bradley.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Atlas Shrugged? Me too!

I managed to draft another chapter of 'Mirror Man' on Saturday and I hope to get it tidied up and ready for critique on 'The Next Big Writer' today or tomorrow.

Anybody who aspires to improve their writing,of any kind, could do much worse than join up at 'The Next Big Writer'. There are some great people there, both readers and writers, who have much to offer in the way of constructive reviews of your work. Give it a try.

Reading time over the weekend was split between three books:

1. The ever entertaining Jeremy Clarkson, who occupies the smallest room in the house;
2. Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' - bathtime reading;
3. Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'

I know Ayn's tale is considered a classic and the precursor of Objectivism, and I can see there are so many philosophical paths being explored, but I must say I'm struggling to stick with it. Though undoubtably well crafted...I'm just bored. I don't have any investment in the characters.

Ah well, I'll stick with it. I can't bail out once a story has started. No matter how difficult the going gets, my curiosity to know the outcome pushes me on. (Except 'Clerks 2'. I pulled the plug on that movie after 30 minutes and I honestly think my life is better for it.)

I've been catching up on the blogs of my old friends from the days of my 'What's Wrong With...' blog and have been thrilled to see so many of you still plugging away. I'll be generating a link list very soon so that I can get back to you all on a more regular basis.

Thanks for the 'Welcome Back' messages, I really appreciate them!

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

It is so cool that you are back. And congrats on your writing projects.

American Gods...bathtime reading? Even the paperback is big enough to push you under the water. Be careful my friend that you don't drown.

swisslet said...

heeeeeyyyyyyyyy!

Not only are you back, but you're reading "American Gods", which I absolutely *loved*. Gaiman is brilliant. I adore his short stories too, but "American Gods" is aces.

"Clerks 2" is shit? Who knew? I loved the first film, and was only talking about the monologue about how workers on the second Death Star were just innocent victims of a terrorist group this morning, as it happens.

Nice to have you back.

ST

Carol Gee said...

I had wondered where you were! I put your old blog in a "stop by once in a while" folder - and I did every now and then. I could never bring myself to delete it, and I'm glad.