Listen to "Stepping Off", Read by Doug Bradley.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hey Ho,Let's Go

After using the chorus of the Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop" as my post title, I realised that the way they sang it made it sound a lot more punk than the way it's written.

"Hey Ho, let's go" sounds more like something Enid Blyton might have written.

Anyway, I've spoken with people on the ground in Cancun and it seems to be business as usual after what fortunately - for human life and property sake, rather than my vacation plans -turned out to be a night of strong wind and heavy rain.

Come tomorrow evening, all systems are go and we'll be on our way to Mexico.

Rather than leave with concerns as to what the churning seas may have done to the golden sandy beaches and crystalline Caribbean waters, my daughter is convinced that some previously undiscovered pirate treasures will have been unearthed and are lying there just waiting for her to snorkel past.

Sticking with the theme of previously undiscovered treasures, I received a form rejection letter from a literary agent yesterday - in relation to a three chapter submission they'd requested over eighteen months ago!

Eighteen Months to respond to three chapters they asked me to send them!

In a way I was pleased it was a rejection. If they'd asked me to send in the rest of the manuscript I can imagine I would have needed to change the genre of the novel to historical fiction by the time they'd finished with it.

The next thing you know, Demi Moore will respond to the love letter I sent her when 'About Last Night' came out!

No? Ah well. With scarcely a day to go, I have some preparations to make. I hope to write up another of my childhood stories that my Mum found, one I was particularly impressed with when I read it last night. I'll try to post that before we leave.

Hey ho, let's go.

5 comments:

November Rain said...

hi from michelle
sorry about the rejection notices I have 3 from three different publishers


good luck to your daughter would be nice to find sunken treasure ;)

MsT said...

Wow, sounds like a time warp for sure. And be sure to let us know if you hear back from Demi - now that's she's found the secret to eternal life with a younger man ;) Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Interesting coincidence. I just got a phone call returned from a message I left about three weeks ago. Ah, yes... the moment had passed, but it was nice to know that I wasn't completely forgotten.

Michele sent me,

Mike

carmilevy said...

Travel safe, Mike.

I think I'm going to wallpaper my office with my rejection letters. I think it's the writer's lot in life to have many of these in a shoebox somewhere. In many ways, we can't really call ourselves writers unless we've been through brutal rejection scads of times.

I like your daughter's sense of perspective. I'm sure she'll find something memorable down there.

An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

I wish a safe and pleasant trip for you sweetie.

xxxxxxxx