Listen to "Stepping Off", Read by Doug Bradley.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Write what you know

I find myself in the unusual position of having both the time and the inspiration to develop 'Mirror Man' by several chapters. It has been rare lately for these two cruial ingredients to coincide.

But coincide they have and yesterday I sat down at the computer with a coffee and a seed of an idea for a sub-plot and before I knew it, I had 2,000 words drafted and a cold cup of coffee.

The thing that got my juices flowing is that this sub plot has been derived directly from actual events in my own life, several years ago. Taking those events and molding them into a fictional scene has been both an easy and a very satisfying task. I had great fun recalling the little hideaway bar in Paris where the events took place and recreating it on paper, together with its occupants. I then found equal joy in putting my characters into that setting and employing bucket-loads of creative lisence in retelling a very personal story.

The old addage of 'write what you know' certainly rings true in terms of ease of creativity. It remains to be seen, of course, if writing what I know interests anybody but me! The test will be when I polish the chapter today and send it out for critiquing.

3 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Hi...Michele sent me. Good luck in polishing up that chapter today!

Carol Gee said...

I am always amazed when episodes such as you describe happen to me. It is as if the stuff "writes itself" is some way. I can't do it well with prose. I've never tried fiction. My thing is poetry.
Congrats, if they are in order. Have a good Monday!

anne said...

Paris is a great place for inspiration, isn't it! Let's hope NYC is too... ;)