Listen to "Stepping Off", Read by Doug Bradley.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Show and Tell

By virtue of the fact I’m male, and probably due to some other external influences beyond my wit, I’ve always tended towards the visual. My first attempt at the spoken word was “lookit!” (Followed soon after, by “Gimme!”)

Although my vocabulary has expanded a little since then, the theme has remained consistent. From enchanting women to elaborate deserts; exotic cars to cutting edge gadgets, my response seldom wavers from some variation of “Lookit!, Gimme!”

When in conversation, I’ll often use phrases like “Do you see what I mean?” and “Look, you’re not seeing the big picture.”

So when it comes to reading – and therefore my writing, too – I get turned off by an abundance of telling. I simply stop listening! Many of the writers I’ve worked with in the past - both in giving and receiving critiques - largely agree with the principle of ‘show not tell’ but some seem to confuse ‘show’ with several paragraphs of descriptive prose. For example, (and I’m deliberately exaggerating):

The black satin Oscar de la Renta dress created a decent cleavage from her normally miserly 32A bust. It cinched in at the waist before hugging her thighs to just above the knees. The dress, coupled with her diminutive, perfectly toned five foot two inch frame, obsidian eyes and cascading ebony locks drew both malicious and longing glances from women and men respectively.

Despite the fact the above passage contains the word ‘frame’ in a character’s physical description, one of my pet peeves (and I have so many of them they could almost be considered commercial livestock rather than pets) it doesn’t allow the reader very much latitude. There is some very specific information (telling) whereas I’d much prefer to be given stimulants for my mind’s eye (showing) and be allowed to build a mental image of the character within certain parameters rather than strict specifications.

So, I could rewrite the above passage as:

It was her first real designer dress and fitted so much better than the department store petite ranges she was usually forced to chose from. She felt sexy, thanks in no small part to Oscar de la Renta’s ability to coax a cleavage from even the most miserly bust. Tonight, for the first time, she was the sultry, dark temptress drawing looks from men and women alike.

What I prefer about the second approach is that the reader can decide how small a petite woman is, based upon his or her own perspective.

The reader dictates what constitutes small boobs, taking me out of the firing line!

The character is clearly meant to be a beautiful woman in both passages yet in the second, her eye and hair color, the length of her hair and her body type are also left to the reader to decide. That way, even if the writer and the reader have differing views on what defines beauty, the women in the dress should remain beautiful to both of them. Of course, if her hair length, eye color etc. are crucial to the plot then I’ll introduce those details, but again, I’ll see if I can ‘show’ her hair is long by allowing her to unpin it and let it fall rather than tell the reader she has shoulder length hair.

For every person who likes to be shown, there is another who reads my work and says it’s lacking a few paragraphs of descriptive prose because they simply can’t picture the cottage without knowing the make and model of the fridge or the pattern of the curtains in the living room.

All I know for certain is that I learn better when shown rather than told.

Just ask my wife!

16 comments:

Carli N. Wendell said...

I completely agree with you. If nothing is left up to the imagination, I'm left trying to conjure up the image of exactly what the writer intended.

Here from Michele's.

-E said...

Heh, lucky wife.

Michele sent me, have a good weekend looking and learning.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I can relate. If one goes on and one, I switch off. I too prefer visuals. I can read fat books but tend to write short poems or shortest of stories.

And I am not a male, in case you don't know!

gautami tripathy said...

I forgot! Michele sent me!

MaR said...

I agree with you and I like the way you rewrote that passage.
Michele sent me your way. I am 5'2 by the way :)

BreadBox said...

Cool writing lesson Mike.
Michele sent me,
N.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A well written interpretation/

Michele sent me this way.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, "showing" to me in a truly visual manner would be to make a movie! That's visual. (lol) But, I see your point in this example, though I'm not sure it leaves much room for the individual writer to express themselves in their particular voice.....Like so many things, there are principals, I guess, but no rules, persay....

I learn much better by actually doing and not reading directions which often do noy make any sense anyway!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh please feel free to add me to your "roll"...Did you ever see Stritch' one woman show, "Elaine Stritch: At Liberty"..? BRILLIANT and wondedrful in every way. Honest, artful, and entertaining! You can get it on DVD.

Pat said...

Here from Michele after a leap frog game. I don't like too much description both as a reader and a writer. Imagination should come into play and I don't want every t crossed and every i dotted. It's a gifted writer who can stimulate the readers thought processes.

carmilevy said...

The joy of literature is that it takes place in the reader's mind. The best writers leave sufficient space for the reader to form the image, toss it around a little and let it settle in. The worst writers hammer their readers over the head with detail.

As always, your perspective is bang on.

Sara said...

Hello, Mike, Michele sent me! I tend to agree - the first paragraph just gave me way to much info. I want to be able to decide what she looks like in my mind. Love the way you rewrote the paragraph...

Have a great week-end...

Tawcan said...

Hi thanx for visiting my blog.

Descriptions are good but overdoing them is bad. Sometimes you need to leave the readers a bit of imagination.

Anonymous said...

Michele sent me tonight, but I always enjoy visiting here.

Personally, I don't want to know what the make of a fridge is...as long as the feel of a place described rings true, each of us can furnish it as we like...unless there's an element that is crucial to the story.

speaking of...in case you weren't aware, this is the bookblog version of MissMeliss, and...may I email you sometime?

Shannon akaMonty said...

As a professional reader (hehehe), I prefer the LESS wordy...which is why there are some blogs written by "aspiring writers" that I just can't stomach.

LESS is often MORE, if you're doing the job right.

I figure if the writer is doing a good job, the images form in my mind without any effort on my part. I hate the books where I try to imagine the scene and I can't quite get it because it's
A. too confusing
or
2. badly described

Just my opinion.
(PS I like YOUR stuff immensely, always have) :D
(PPS sorry, I got a little wordy there myself. Hey, I never said I wasn't a hypocrite) heehee

Mike Davis said...

Melissa - yes, of course. Any time.